Comparison Side by Side
1. Architectural Shingles or a.k.a dimensional or laminate shingles differ from the traditional 3-tab asphalt shingle look. They differ because the actual shingle tabs have various sizes and shapes. These various sizes and shapes give them a more “dimensional” look to them and can actually make a single roof look more like shake.
2. Architectural shingles weigh more than 3-tab shingles. In fact, they weigh around 50 percent more than the asphalt 3-tab shingles.
3. Because architectural shingles are thicker than 3-tab shingles they have a longer warranty than most 3-tab shingles. Architectural shingles almost across the board have a minimum 30 year guarantee and are rated to resist higher speeds of wind.
4. Architectural shingles cost more than 3-tab shingles.
5. Architectural shingles help maintain or raise the value of the home as long as they are properly installed. They are a preferred shingle for homeowners because they help the homes value.
6. Architectural shingles are constantly becoming more and more popular in the roofing market.
1. 3-tab shingles have only 1 shingle tab size and shape.
2. Architectural shingles are composed of one flat layer and do not have a dimensional look to them. Because they are more simple and are made up of less material they weigh less than architectural shingles.
3. 3-tab shingles are less thick than architectural shingles and almost always have a shorter year guarantee. Because of this 3-tab single roofa need to be replaced sooner than architectural shingle roofs.
4. 3-tab shingles cost less than architectural shingles.
5. 3-tab shingles are still preferred among residential rental properties and lower value homes where the initial higher cost can not be met for architectural shingles.
6. 3-tab shingles are on the decline in popularity.